Mr. Perkins worked for a large Houston law firm for the first few years of his practice. He joined Sheehy, Ware & Pappas as a trial lawyer in 1990. His trial experience includes complex commercial disputes, employment discrimination, professional malpractice and personal injury claims. He has tried cases in Federal District Courts, Federal Bankruptcy Court, and Texas State Courts.
Mr. Perkins is active in the Houston Bar Association, regularly serving on the LegalLines Committee assisting people unable to afford legal help. He has also served on the Houston Bar Association's Fee Dispute Committee, helping clients and lawyers resolve differences without having to resort to expensive litigation. He has published and lectured in the areas of trial strategy and the defense of employment discrimination claims.
Mr. Perkins also actively participates in the community and with his alma mater. He is a member of the Association Board for a local YMCA. Mr. Perkins has also assisted undergraduates with his alma mater by funding a scholarship for students majoring in history who demonstrate superior academic performance and leadership potential.
University of Houston Law Center, (J.D., 1986)
Southwest Missouri State University, (B.A., History, 1983)
- State Bar of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyer
- Newell M. Blakely Moot Court Competition, first place, 1985
- All Courts in the State of Texas
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
Practice Areas and Casework
- Commercial and Business Fraud Litigation
- Personal Injury and Products Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Employment Litigation
Commercial and Business Fraud Litigation:
- Secured class action settlement on behalf of homeowners who alleged their mandatory dues had been fraudulently misused over a number of years.
- Obtained dismissal of claims of multi-million dollar fraud and breach of fiduciary duty against consultant by former client relating to sale of business.
- Received defense verdict for client relating to claims by business competitor of tortious interference with contract.
- Handles copyright and trademark disputes for large national client.
- Resolved multi-million dollar fraud claims against former shareholders in a roll-up company that had floundered and subsequently filed for bankruptcy.
- Routinely represents several large Houston commercial property owners in litigation relating to their properties.
- Regularly hired by large employers to protect sensitive and confidential business information from dissemination by former employees.
Personal Injury and Products Liability:
- Received recent defense jury verdict for retailer in case involving alleged false imprisonment and slander.
- Regularly hired by commercial property owners to defend serious cases involving injuries, deaths and breach of security.
- Recently obtained two separate defense jury verdicts in favor of a national restaurant chain when patrons were seriously injured by falls.
- Obtained dismissal of potentially disastrous claims relating to death of oil company executive from tainted food.
- Frequently defends products liability claims against major cosmetics and consumer products manufacturer.
- Represents large medical device manufacturer in products liability claims relating to alleged product defects.
- Successfully defended a large Houston engineering company from allegations of improper foundation design.
- Defended several large law firms in legal malpractice claims.
- Regularly assists lawyers in resolving and defending ethics claims before the State Bar Grievance Committees.
- Obtained dismissal of ethics complaint against three corporate CPAs after full hearing before State Board of Public Accountancy relating to claims by whistleblower that they had failed to account properly for losses suffered by regulated public utility.
- Recently tried and won a defense verdict for a national employer in an alleged sexual harassment case.
- Has defended numerous corporate and individual clients from claims of race, national origin and sex discrimination, including claims of retaliation.
- Garnered a defense verdict for a nationwide employer alleged to have engaged in age discrimination and retaliation against former employee.
Publications and Seminar Presentations
- Editor, Texas Association of Defense Counsel Employment Law Newsletter
- Emerging Trends in Non-Compete Agreements (2009 TADC Winter Seminar)
To see articles click here.