Mr. Caflisch delivers a full array of legal services to the oil and gas, marine, manufacturing, transportation and insurance industries, from negotiating and drafting contracts to mediating, arbitrating and trying disputes. He has first-chair trial and appellate experience, with successful results in scores of court cases, administrative proceedings and appeals, protecting clients from multimillion-dollar liabilities. He is skilled at leading teams to victories in high-stakes business disputes, oilfield claims, maritime personal injury claims, products liability claims, insurance coverage disputes, contract negotiations, employment matters and other corporate issues. Thanks to his knowledge of Italian, French, Spanish and Portuguese, Mr. Caflisch has a particular ability to assist foreign individuals and corporations with their international legal needs. Regardless of his role, Mr. Caflisch's focus is on providing value-based solutions to his clients' legal needs. He is A-V rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
University of Texas School of Law, (J.D., with honors, 1987)
Princeton University, (B.S.E., magna cum laude, 1983)
- State Bar of Texas
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Proctor-Member, Maritime Law Association
- United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Practice Areas and Casework
- Products Liability
- Premises Liability
- Insurance Coverage
- Admiralty & Maritime
- Oil & Gas
- Labor & Employment
- Protected oil and gas service company by relying on contractual indemnity and insurance provisions to reallocate liabilities to other parties.
- Strengthened operations for Houston chemical manufacturer by serving as de facto General Counsel and delivering practical answers to questions raised by employment issues, sales contracts, risk management strategies, joint ventures and plant expansions.
- Helped secure victory for construction equipment manufacturer in multimillion-dollar wrongful death action, prevailing at summary judgment and on appeal.
- Successfully defended multimillion-dollar 2,300-plaintiff personal injury claim arising out of LPG pipeline leak in East Texas.
- Secured victories for insurer in multiple trial courts and on appeal in a signiicant insurance coverage and indemnity dispute involving additional insureds and pollution exclusions.
- Secured precedent-setting dismissal of claims asserted by foreign offshore oilfield worker injured overseas and won resulting appeal.
- Prevailed at trial court and on appeal in a "negligent failure to settle" claim brought by excess insurer against primary insurer.
- Assistant Scoutmaster -- Troop 55 (2008 to present)
- Board Member -- Princeton Alumni Association of Houston (2008 to present)